Best Zodiac Pool Cleaners Reviews
Updated March 21st, 2020
For years, Zodiac pool cleaners have proven their effectiveness in cleaning swimming pools. Zodiac is an established American pool cleaner manufacturer with durable, efficient, and high-quality pool cleaners. Zodiac line of products are suction pool cleaners, which are quite different from pressure and robotic cleaners.
If you are new to pool cleaning, suction pool cleaners are probably the simplest and most affordable automatic pool cleaners. Their operation basically involves taking advantage of the already installed pool pump system. That said, our review below outlines some of the best Zodiac pool cleaners available on the market.
To begin, you should ensure that your pool pump can consistently provide at least 25GPM to use Zodiac cleaners. That assured the following factors could help you select a good Zodiac pool cleaner. To see our recommended variable speed pumps click here.
It goes without saying that you will need a pool cleaner with a longer hose if you own a big pool. Zodiac pool cleaners come with varying hose lengths, making it possible to find one that suits your pool. Another advantage is that cleaners come with several hose sections that can simply snap together. With this, you can connect several sections until you meet your desired length. If your pool cleaner cannot reach the deepest end of your pool, you will have to purchase additional hose sections for more lengths.
Type of Pool Surface
Different pools have varying surfaces. Construction materials of these surfaces are another determinant of the best pool cleaner. Some low-budget suction pool cleaners lack enough suction to climb pools with smooth surfaces, such as fiberglass and vinyl. However, special wheels or tracks are often included to make them clean. That said, always evaluate the nature of your pool surface before ordering your Zodiac pool cleaner of choice.
Amount of Debris
Suction pool cleaners generally clean fine and medium-sized debris expertly. They pick on dirt, hair, small leaves, bugs, and grass without compromise. Some models also feature adjustable intake valves that enable removal of bigger debris. If your pool is close to trees and bushes, you might consider purchasing a separate inline leaf canister that prevents clogging of the intake valves.
Pool owners with huge amounts of debris in their pools should consider cleaning the skimmer basket regularly. Simply put, pools with heavy debris require heavy maintenance. On the contrary, fenced pools with minimal trees, debris, or dirt traffic are not a challenge to clean.
Suction pool cleaners cost between $200 and $600. Obviously, the simplest models are the cheapest. Nevertheless, you don’t have to spend heavily to get a good cleaner. This is true, especially if you own a simple pool that collects minimal debris. On the other hand, owners of large pools with a lot of debris should invest in a cleaner that tackles dirt much faster and efficiently.
(Click to expand)
Top Zodiac Pool Robots
1. Zodiac MX6 Pool Cleaner
The all-around best from Zodiac for value, features and cleaning ability
2. Zodiac G3 Pool Cleaner
Quiet, powerful suction cleaner; works with low-speed pumps for maximum efficiency.
3. Zodiac MX8 Pool Cleaner
Why Buy Zodiac Pool Cleaners
With the plethora of suction pool cleaners available on the market, why should you get Zodiac cleaners? Well, like other high-end models, using Zodiac pool cleaners come with a plethora of benefits.
- Energy-efficient – as mentioned, suction pool cleaners run on the already created suction in the pool’s filtration system. As such, they save a lot of energy, unlike robotic cleaners that need to be plugged to electric outlets.
- Efficient cleaning – the main reason for buying pool cleaners is to keep your pool free from dirt, algae, and debris. Suction pool cleaners do a great job, provided you purchase a good model, such as Zodiac products.
- Easy to operate – suction pool cleaners are designed to be simple and easy to use. There is no programming required and minimal physical exertion involved. They are a good choice for new pool owners looking to clean their pools by themselves.
- Cost – compared to other automatic cleaners, suction pool cleaners are affordable both to purchase and maintain.
Troubleshooting Tips for Zodiac Suction Pool Cleaners
Most pool cleaning professionals and owners have the following issues with suction pool cleaners;
The cleaner doesn’t move or moves slowly. Why?
You shouldn’t be worried if your pool doesn’t move or moves slowly. This common phenomenon can be solved in several ways.
- First, backwash the pool filter and empty the pool pump’s basket
- Clear any trapped air. Suspect the presence of trapped air if you see air bubbles rising from the pump basket and return lines. To clear this, ensure that the hose connections and fittings to the pump are tight.
- Remove any debris that could be jamming the turbines
- Check the working efficiency of the flow regulator valves
- Confirm there is nothing trapped within the tracks or wheels
If your pool cleaner cannot climb walls;
- Adjust the pool water flow rate
- Confirm if the wheels/feet/track is compatible with the pool surface
- Clear any debris from the pool cleaners’ throat and turbine
- Empty the pump basket and backwash the filter
- Replace any wheels, skirts, and tracks.
If your pool won’t cover the entire pool surface;
- Ensure the cleaner has enough hose length to reach across the bottom ends
- Adjust the hose float if necessary. This comes in handy in deep pools.
- Adjust the programmed steering settings. For instance, change the number of wheel rotations.
- Make sure the hose is not kinked or coiled.
The Bottom Line
All the pool cleaners mentioned above are from Zodiac. They are specifically designed for in-ground swimming pools if you're looking for an above ground pool cleaner or a pool cleaner for Intex pools check out those reviews. While others have discs for movement, others use wheels. Regardless of your pool surface, any of the pool cleaners mentioned above can effortlessly clean the floor, walls, and steps. These machines are efficient and work effectively. You can buy either based on personal preferences.