Keeping your pool clean consistently especially during the summer months can be a challenge if you don’t have the right tools. Pool skimmers offer a simple and effective way of maintaining your pool. With an automatic pool skimmer, you can spend less time worrying about cleaning your pool and more time actually enjoying it.
Finding the best brand of pool skimmers is important if you want to get good value for your money. Additionally, automatic pool skimmers are not all created equal so it’s important to understand how the different types work and what best suits your needs. Consider factors such as power, durability, and ease of installation when choosing a pool skimmer.
Top features to look out for when shopping for a pool skimmer
Lightweight: The weight of the cleaner really does matter. You need a skimmer that’s lightweight and easy to handle. You’ll need to lift it to get inside the pool and remove it when the work is done. If it’s too heavy, you’ll have a hard time doing this by yourself.
A programmable timer: What would make the job super easy is if you can automate the process of running the skimmer. Some pool skimmers come with a programmable timer so you don’t have to start it and switch it off manually each time. You just set it and forget it.
Deflecting features: If you’ve used a pool skimmer before, you probably know that one of the greatest problems is that they can get stuck in corners from time to time. However, some automatic pool skimmers have deflecting features, which ensures they can’t get stuck while moving around in corners or on other obstacles.
A quick and efficient cleaning cycle: Some skimmers have multiple cleaning cycles, which helps to provide different levels of cleaning. You want to ensure that the skimmer can clean the pool well and quickly at the same time.
Durability: A good skimmer should have a warranty so you don’t have to spend on repairs after a few swimming seasons. Look out for a cleaner that’s made using high-quality materials that will last long.
Energy efficiency: Find out how much energy the skimmer uses on a regular cycle. Smaller cleaners consume about 200 watts of power in an hour whereas the larger units can take up more than 1000 watts within the same duration, which means they cost more to operate over time.
Now let’s feature our top 7 favorite pool skimmers to give you an idea of what you should be looking for when shopping for this new maintenance tool.
Best 7 Pool Skimmers on the Market
Solar Breeze NX2 - Best Solar Powered Pool Skimmer
- REMOVES 90-95% OF DEBRIS - Automatic Pool Cleaner removes 90-95% of surface debris while reducing the dust, leaves, pollen and bacteria with the automatic pool cleaner
- LONG LASTING, SOLAR POWERED - Solar powered robotic pool cleaner uses the free energy of the sun, and last for several hours after sundown. Maximum running time per day mid-summer in sunbelt states 23.5 hours
- AUTONOMOUS - Solar-Breeze NX knows how to navigate your pool, get out of sticky situations, all the while eating up debris, leaves, and dirt. It even filters your water to keep your pool fresh and clean!
- INCREASED COLLECTION CAPACITY – Chemical dispenser tray accommodates two 3-inch trichlor tablets (not included), the collection area capacity is twice that of your in-wall skimmer basket.
- SOLAR BREEZE CARES - If at any time you have questions or concerns regarding your product, please contact Solar Breeze through messaging services
If you’re looking for a pool skimmer that’s efficient, the Solar Breeze NX2 is perfect for any kind of pool. The pool skimmer operates solely using solar power and doesn’t require any charging or batteries. This type can run throughout the night without interfering with the pool’s filter system. It also comes with a chemical dispenser that you can use to place chlorine tabs while skimming.
PoolSkim skimmer- Simple Design with Powerful Features
- Award-Winning Automatic Pool Skimmer
- Connects to 1&1/2 Inch Threaded Outflow Return Jet-where water flows back into pool
- Self-Adjusting to Water Level
- Reduces Workload on Filtration System
- Cleaning Made Easy
This pool skimmer and cleaner comes with a special return jet which helps to trap leaves and debris in a net. This means that it does part of the job for your pool’s filter. By relieving the stress on the filters, it enhances their lifespan. However, watch out for the smaller particles as they could find their way through the net. It’s often recommended for in-ground and above ground pools.
SkimDoctor 2.0 – Easiest Skimmer to Install
- 3x Faster Cleaning - The SkimDoctor 2.0 catches leaves and floating surface debris up to 3x faster than ordinary pool skimmers, before they sink to the bottom of your pool. Now you won't have to skim around your pool as often which means a cleaner pool and less work!
- Swift and Dry Cleanup - Tired of getting your hands wet when emptying your skimmer basket? With the SkimDoctor 2.0, simply grab the tower to remove your basket without touching the water! Our fine mesh skimmer sock captures leaves, bugs, pollen, dust, and more while allowing you to quickly dispose of debris without getting your hands wet or dirty.
- Fewer Pool Chemicals Needed - By improving water circulation and enhancing the functionality of your inground pool vacuum, SkimDoctor 2.0 decreases the need for chemicals in your swimming pool. Unlike other products, SkimDoctor works from inside your skimmer basket so you never have to look at it while enjoying your pool.
- Easy 5-minute Assembly - The SkimDoctor 2.0 fits inside your inground pool skimmer basket and requires no special tools for installation. Adjustable gates are used to improve the performance of low flow OR variable speed pool pumps. Chemical and corrosion resistant fittings ensure a long lifespan.
- Versatile 2.0 Model - The new and improved 2.0 model fits all skimmer baskets up to 10-3/4 inches high by 8-1/8 inches internal top width. This versatile fit allows for use with many different commercial inground swimming pool skimmer baskets. **BASKET NOT INCLUDED**
If you have an above ground pool, this is a skimmer you should probably consider investing in. For starters, the skimmer is so easy to install. Though it takes a little longer than other skimmers in the market to get rid of the debris in your pool, the unit is so easy to keep clean and maintain. It also comes with an expansive debris basket, which means you can keep it running for a longer time. You can clean the filter without having to put your hands in water. This skimmer is only ideal for in-ground pools.
SkimmerMotion Pool Skimmer -Efficient and Fun to watch
- Not for large leaves - Removes all particles & debris & smaller than 1” from pool surface without the use of chemicals - Clarifies your pool
- Automatically moves in parallel with your bottom vacuum cleaner reaching where no other device can, covering your entire pool surface
- Whirlpool suction power removes all particles and debris BEFORE they mix or reach the bottom of the pool
- Compatible add-on device for all bottom vacuums cleaners on the market
- Patented, designed and manufactured in USA to be effective, energy efficient, compact, sleek and aesthetically pleasing
Another automatic pool skimmer that works pretty well for all kinds of pools is the SkimmerMotion. This particular skimmer must work with a pool vacuum which is what makes it costlier than most of what we have in the market. When turned on, the skimmer creates a whirlpool that pulls in all the debris and drags it around the pool by the vacuum. When you use this skimmer, you won’t need to add chemicals in your pool so frequently.
Dunnrite Hydro - Net Automatic Pool Skimmer
One unique feature of this skimmer is that it’s operated with a remote control. This means you can run the skimmer while up to 100 feet away from the pool. It’s ideal for all sizes of pools from the small ponds to the larger pools. One major drawback is that it’s a battery-powered automatic pool skimmer. The charge can last up to 5 hours.
Aquamoto Skimbot Robotic Solar Powered – Perfect for Pools with Tight Corners
- Lightweight, easy to use Skimbot robot with sliding collection tray that prevents dirt and leaves from backwashing into your pool.
- Bluetooth enabled robot with Proprietary iOS app and Android app for remote operation and automation schedules, plus anti-theft mode, eco-operation, and silent mode.
- Constructed of DURABLE, UV enhanced plastics to withstand harsh pool environments, hot and cold temperatures, as well as overly sunny days.
- Newly Improved (2021), More Efficient solar panels for energy operation and intelligent on-boarded navigation system to map water surface and target dirty areas.
- An offensive measure to overall pool maintenance and cleaning, Skimbot works well in tandem with in floor vacuum systems and bottom vacuums while decreasing the need to use such pool cleaners or operate the pool pump as often.
This pool skimmer is designed to perfectly clean pool walls and crevices in tight corners. Its water propulsion system can tackle those hard to reach areas and pick up large debris in the pool without losing the suction. It even has a motion-sensing remote that you can use to direct the unit where you want cleaned.
Look Forward to Pool-cleaning Day
When you get an ideal unit, pool-cleaning day will be easier than usual especially when you get a robot to clean your pool too. The best pool skimmer is worth the investment given the energy and time-saving that come with it. Remember that after you find the ideal automated pool cleaner for you, the next important step is to maintain it properly.