Are you planning on maximizing your swimming time this summer in your Intex above ground pool? If so, you will need to have a plan for keeping your pool fresh and clean for optimal enjoyment. Automatic pool cleaners are a great option for Intex pools and many are best suited for above ground pools due to their specialized designs that protect the soft sides of your Intex pool.
While an automatic cleaner is convenient, it can get a bit pricey so we've compiled a list of various types of vacuums great for Intex pools so that you can determine which option is best for you. Once you decide on your purchase, you can simply sit back and enjoy your summer swimming.
Types of pool cleaners
There are a few different types of pool cleaners that are all great options depending on what your budget is and what you are looking for specifically in your new pool cleaner. If you're just looking for an above ground pool cleaner recommendation, we have that here.
Automatic/Robotic Pool Cleaners - An automatic pool cleaner is super convenient and requires minimal labor. They do require their own power source and they move independently along the bottom of the pool to make it sparkling and clean. These pool cleaners tend to be at the highest end of the price range.
Suction Vacuums - This type of pool vacuum also moves independently and automatically to clean your pool but it uses your pool pump for its power source instead of requiring an independent one. These cleaners typically have the "barracuda" style, or creepy-crawly style, which has a round rubber flange that moves throughout your pool to clean it. In general, automatic suction vacuums are lower maintenance due to less moving parts that might need repair when compared to robotic pool cleaners.
Manual Pool Vacuums - These are typically the lower end of the price range for pool cleaners. While they are hand-held and require manual labor to clean your pool, they are a great option if you want to save some cash and you don't mind doing the cleaning yourself to ensure premium cleanliness.
Best Robotic Pool Cleaners for Intex
An auto pool cleaner takes the back-breaking work and the fuss out of cleaning your pool so you can spend less time cleaning and more time splashing. Here are some top picks:
Hayward 900 Wanda The Whale
- USE IN ABOVE-GROUND POOLS: The Wanda the Whale Suction Pool Cleaner from Hayward is designed to automatically clean the bottom of all sizes and shapes of above-ground and on-ground pools
- GENTLE YET EFFECTIVE: A unique turbine system helps Hayward suction cleaners move gently across the bottom of your pool, providing exceptionally quiet operation. They even improve circulation by pulling water up from the bottom of the pool as they move
- SIMPLY SUPERIOR RESULTS: Equipped with patented SmartDrive technology, it covers the bottom of your pool quickly and completely, making sure no debris is left behind. Their deluxe bumper ring reduces friction, guiding them away from walls, steps and ladders to continue the cleaning cycle
- QUICK & EASY INSTALLATION: 32 ft. hose connects directly to your skimmer, installing in less than 10 minutes without tools. And with no additional equipment required, you can enjoy sparkling clean water without a booster pump
- TRUSTED BRAND: With over 80-years of experience, Hayward is an industry leader manufacturing advanced pool equipment
The Hayward brand has some pretty adorable designs that are popular with kids and families. Aside from the design appeal, Wanda also gets the job done well. Set up is really simple and fast and Wanda has a 32 foot hose that enables use for larger pools. Operation is smooth and quiet so it won't disturb your neighbors when in use. This model is great for dirt and smaller debris but tends to struggle with larger debris from trees, etc. due to the small filter hole.
Intex Auto Pool Cleaner
It's no surprise that an Intex brand cleaner would be suitable for Intex above ground pools. Set up is a breeze and super fast to get going and Intex made this model with sturdy materials that will last a long time. It gets the job done fast with a flow rate of 1600-3500 GPH and has an automatic reverse function which makes it super independent in its cleaning functionality. You can truly sit back and let this guy work alone. While this model is great for above ground pools, it's not ideal for in ground pools and it will, unfortunately, not clean the sides of your pool - only the bottom.
Aquabot Pool Rover Robotic Pool Cleaner
- Customizable, automatic pool cleaning robot; Cleaning: 5400 sq. ft. per hour
- Jet propelled system cleans the floor and slopes of a 24-foot-diameter pool in less than one hour
- Removes everything from large leaves to algae as small as 2 microns with the easy-to-clean reusable 19-quart micro filter bag
- Pool Rover has a guidance system that is easy to set and will clean the floor of any shape aboveground pool
- Extra-wide non-marring wheels allow it to roll over ripples and printed vinyl pool bottoms
This guy is super high-tech with a customizable guidance system that allows it to clean your pool independently in a snap. It can clean a 24 foot pool super efficiently with a jet propelled system. Its powerful suction can handle any size debris from large leaves to tiny, microscopic filth. It keeps all of the debris inside the unit itself instead of through your pool's filter which means less wear and tear on your filter. The only negative aspect of this model is that it really is quite bulky compared to other models and pretty heavy at 27 pounds.
Best Suction Vacuums for Intex
Pentair Kreepy Krauly K50600
Pentair is a long trusted brand of pool vacuum and the Kreepy Krauly holds up to the name. It has powerful suction and it regulates water flow so you can be confident in its effective cleaning. It has a long hose at 32 feet and, like most suction vacuums, it has only one moving part so it requires very minimal maintenance. While this model is best for larger Intex pools, it does take a longer time to clean the whole pool than other models might take.
Zodiac Ranger Automatic Suction Side Pool Cleaner
- Effectively cleans above-ground swimming pools (not recommended for Intex/soft-sided pools), including dished-out bottoms up to 72 inches.
- One moving part technology, eliminates annoying hammer or flapper noise; works quickly, effectively, and quietly.
- Unique Deflector Wheel helps prevent it from getting caught on steps, ladders and corners!
- Comes pre-assembled for easy installation and includes 32 feet of feed hose.
- AG Disc allows the Ranger to glide effortlessly along the bottom of your pool, up the sides and around steps, cleaning your whole pool.
Like other suction vacuums, the Zodiac Ranger has only one moving part which makes maintenance minimal and it also comes pre-assembled which virtually eliminates set up time. Another added benefit to this model is that it has an AG Disc which enables the cleaner to not only clean the bottom of the pool but also the walls and steps of the pool. It easily maneuvers around steps and ladders with its wheel deflector and it also self-regulates water flow for optimal cleaning capabilities.
Best Manual Vacuum Options
If you're not sold on the price tag of an automatic pool cleaner or if you'd prefer the confidence that results in cleaning every inch of your pool yourself, here are a couple of honorable mentions in the realm of the manual pool vacuum cleaner.
Water Tech Pool Blaster Max Li
- INCREASED POWER: The Max offers increased vacuum suction with the Water Tech P30 Motor design engineered for quick & efficient debris pick-up.
- WHOLE POOL CLEANER: Clean entire pool or Spot-Clean in seconds. Includes a removeable 10.5” vacuum head for general cleaning or simple remove to expose nose cone head for hard to get areas. Ideal for In-Ground pools and Above Ground Pools like Intex
- CAPTURE MORE DIRT: The Max features a large debris capture chamber and strong suction for a variety of cleaning; acorns, twigs, leaves dirt and sand.
- CORDLESS CLEANING: Perfect for quick and easy cleaning in the Swimming pool and Hot Tub or Spa. No hoses or cords needed.
- MORE RUN TIME: The lithium ion battery powered Max is designed to run up to 1 hour. Push-Button operation. Attaches to any standard telescopic pool pole. (telescopic pool pole not included)
For its small size, this manual cleaner has a lot of power behind it and can easily tackle large and small debris with ease. It's battery operated so you can manually clean your pool free of power cord restraints for 60 minutes of battery life before needing to recharge. Customer reviews rave about this model's suction capabilities which makes this quite a star among above ground pool vacuums.
Intex Handheld Rechargeable Pool Vacuum
- Strong, built-in Ni-MH rechargeable batteries for powerful suction capability
- Suitable for use with all PureSpas and above ground pools up to 18' diameter
- Includes two interchangeable brush heads, USB cable for recharging, 94" lightweight telesoping aluminum shaft, & shaft adapter to fit longer/wider telescoping aluminum shaft
- Automatic shutoff feature when vacuum is not submerged in water, IPX8 waterproof switch for added protection against water submersion
- Keep pool water clean by vacuuming out dirt and debris
Again, it's no surprise that a manual Intex pool vacuum made this list. While this model is great for soft-sided above ground pools, it is not ideal for pools larger than 18 feet. However, the suction power is great for tough debris and the two interchangeable brushes are fantastic for cleaning customization. Additionally, no power source is required due to its rechargeable batteries which can be good to go in 50 minutes tops.
Which one is right for you?
In the world of pool cleaners, size really does matter. If you have a large model of Intex above ground pool, you will likely need to invest in a higher end automatic pool cleaner to ensure both the cleanliness of your pool as well as your sanity. However, if you have a smaller model Intex above ground pool, you don't necessarily need to opt for the top of the line beast in auto pool cleaners. A more affordable suction or manual vacuum may do the trick easily for you. It all comes down to your needs, the level of pool use, and, as always, your budget. Your purchase decision will ultimately depend on your unique pool needs. Happy swimming!